Where In The World Are Ken and Sally?

Follow us on our adventures (and no doubt misadventures)through Norway, England and Italy. Farvel, Cheerio and Ciao ! Ken and Sally

If you don't want to add a comment, email us at:
bakkens3@comcast.net

Monday, May 22, 2006

Another Day in Florence

Monday, May 22nd: 85 degrees today
After breakfast, we decided to take it easy and do the hop on/hop off bus tour of Florence and the area. We have been here before, so have seen the Duomo, Baptistry, etc, so decided to just take it slow and easy today (or so we thought). We hopped on, saw the beautiful area while listening to the guide on headphones. When there wasn't anything to point out, beautiful Italian music played. Ken said even the trees looked artistic. Peppe must have rubbed off on him. It is another beautiful sunny day and as we sat on the top of the double decker bus, I found myself closing my eyes with a goofy smile on my face. Then I would remember where we were. I didn't want to miss a moment of this. We got off the bus at the Ponte Vecchio. This is where all of the stores that sell gold and other jewelry are. There are litereally ropes of gold! I found a few things that would make a nice birthday gift for me, so Ken took a picture. That's as close as I am going to get, apparently! We walked back to Hotel Casci, and had to stop for gelato because we were so hot and tired. But we didn't realize that in order to sit down and rest while you ate it, we didn't get the one scoop we expected; we got 4 scoops in a sundae glass. Coffee and tirimisu were the flavor of the day. Oh let's be honest, it was the flavor for that hour.

When we wake up in the morning at this point of our trip, I have to admit that we are a bit weary. But as soon as we walk out the front door and see what awaits us, we are excited all over again about this adventure.

Tonight we went to Le Massacce for dinner. It was recommended by the couple we met in Assisi. Just a little hole in the wall. We shared our table with a young couple who had just gotten engaged in Paris. There seems to be a lot of young travelers around! Anyway, dinner was fabulous. Cannelloni for Ken, tortellini for me and then we split steak florentine. Of course we had dessert, wine, water and coffee and the bill was about $45. A great deal for such a dinner. I decided if I had to walk as far at home to get food as I have had to on vacation, I'd be thin! Of course, we usually get lost, which adds to the walk. "Bakken" means "little hill" in Norwegian...in Italian, I think it means "a little lost".

Our phone rang at 11PM last night; it was Joel who had forgotten about the 9 hour time difference (we think). It startled us, but he was just calling to tell us that we have a large nest of red ants near Lucky's dog kennel, and had called the 'bug' guys. It was a reminder that we will be back to reality soon. Some of you have suggested that I keep writing our blog after we get home, but somehow writing about red ants and laundry just won't be the same.

Tomorrow is our last day here ! Sally

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home