Where In The World Are Ken and Sally?

Follow us on our adventures (and no doubt misadventures)through Norway, England and Italy. Farvel, Cheerio and Ciao ! Ken and Sally

If you don't want to add a comment, email us at:
bakkens3@comcast.net

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Bergen








We have seen lots of different sides of Norway...the big city, rural area and now Bergen. We have found out the weather is best in May, and at it's worse in July...who knew !? The sky was blue and a bit chilly but great walking weather. The yellow-gold, white and dark red buildings are incredible !! The streets are cobblestone, so very difficult to walk on (yes, I am being very careful). The harbor is great with all sorts of interesting looking fish. It's a great city, and Ken says 'I blend in here just fine...you don't.' There are more blondes here. I have fallen in love with Bergen. Laundry was easy to do today as we were just able to leave it at the laundromat while we went touring. We are trying to be very careful with our spending, so we skipped lunch and split a brownie at a bakery called Dromebar. It was excellent. As we started to put on our coats to leave, I notice Ken breaking into his 2 words of Norwegian that he knows. He is talking to the gal who works at the bakery and telling her the brownie that she recommended was great and tussen takk. As I dragged him away he said 'She had the most beautiful blue eyes!' He finally found a member of the Norwegian ski team (in his mind at least)!Sondra gets the award for the most frequent blogger commentaries! Sadly, there is no prize!..........Sally

Barb, if you were having a bad dream in the middle of the night, it was because Sally and I went up the Fløibanen which took us up to the top of Mt. Fløyen.The Fløibanen is a funicular which is like the cable cars in San Francisco; it took eight minutes to climb to the top which was 1000 feet above the city. We had a panoramic view of Bergen, the surrrounding islands, and fjords all the way to the west coast. While we thought Bob would enjoy pitching his tent somewhere in the mountains, we knew that you (Barb) would love this after our adventure in Whistler with you guys!

We have been seeing many young people wearing bright red bib overalls since we have arrived in Norway. I finally asked someone if it was a young person's fashion statement. I was told that all of the graduating seniors from high school wear them from May 1st to 17th (Norway's Independence Day). The students party dring that time period. After he 17th, their 'difficulties' begin since they have to take final exams from then through June.

It has gotten colder and has started to mist, so we are calling it a day and will start packing for our trip to London tomorrow. Bergan has the soul of Norway for us....Ken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home