Where In The World Are Ken and Sally?

Follow us on our adventures (and no doubt misadventures)through Norway, England and Italy. Farvel, Cheerio and Ciao ! Ken and Sally

If you don't want to add a comment, email us at:
bakkens3@comcast.net

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The End of Siena, the beginning of Florence

Thursday, May 19th continued
After blogging, we got a recommendation for a place to eat from one of the workers in the internet cafe. It looked reasonable, so we went in. I couldn't decide between several different dishes, but I knew cocoa tagliatelle wasn't for me. I am a chocolate lover, but that's even too much for me. When the waiter came, I did what our friend Paul does...I let the waiter pick for me. It always seemed to work well for Paul and "carpe diem". Well, I ended up with the cocoa tagliatelle with duck sauce. It was very odd. A plate of dark brown pasta. I ate it, but would not order it again, that's for sure! Needing another taste of gianduia gelato, we walked until we found the place we had been the night before. It looked safe...no Giovanni. We had our gelato and asked for a taxi to be called. The answer was "Mi Amico!", and he gets on the phone to call Giovanni. 1/2 hour later, no Giovanni and so we say we are tired and can only wait 10 more minutes. While waiting, I have panforte, a Siena specialty. It is a fruitcake like cake that grows on you with each bite. Sondra and Susan: It is like the Torrone candy we had as kids, only on steroids! Finnaly, Giovanni appears and we actually have a quiet ride back to the hotel. Either he mellowed, or we are getting used to Italian driving. In at around 11pm. So much for an early night.

Saturday, May 21
After breakfast, we decided to go to the hill town of San Gimignano. We were there 3 years ago, and it was there that we had our lazy Susan made for us. The lazy Susan seems to be lonely, so I thought that perhaps I could find a vase to keep her company. As we walked into the ceramics store, the woman said "You are not a new face". On our last trip, we had had a long visit with her and her husband Marco. Marco looked so much like my nephew Billy, but this time Marco was on a delivery, but his wife told us to stop by on our way out of town to see if he had returned. We found a vase that looks like good company for the lazy Susan and then we took off for more shopping, and of course gelato. I had mango and Ken had lemon. The flavors are so intense! No churches or museums, since we had been here before, just a relaxing time. There was a museum of torture, but we passed. As we left San G, we stopped by the ceramics store but Marco had not returned. She said "next year". I don't think so, but nice thought.

Our next stop is the hill town of Volterra. This is a Rick Steves recommendation and there are a couple of things that sound interesting. Since this is another hill town, we park and walk in and become immediately lost. Not to name names, but someone was getting a little cranky. We stopped for a slice of pizza at one of the only places that was open, as we arrived in the afternoon during siesta. We got our bearings and I decided we should 1st go to Enoteca La Vera di Vino. wine bar. There for around $6 Ken could taste 6 different wines. He wants me to add that he had small glasses, because he was driving. It was a great little dark hole in the wall and we were the only ones speaking English. The decor? Bras hanging off the ceiling. This whole experience seemed to cheer Ken up so we headed to destination #2, Alab'Arte. This too, was a Rick Steves recommendation. It is the workshop where they actually carve alabaster. This srea is famous for alabaster. It was fascinating! Roberto Chitti was a little cool when we walked in. He was polishing some finished pieces with vasoline. As soon as Ken asked if he used a lathe, he got excited and took us to the "real workshop" and fired up the small lathe. Ken explained that he had taught woodshop. Roberto understood. He took us to see the big lathe, and started that going. The shop was coated in alabaster dust, and we decided Robertos lungs must be too. He gave Ken a couple pieces of alabaster for his shop, and of course I bought a few alabaster eggs. When I mentioned Rick Steves he said "Rick here 20 days ago with camera". So, if you are watching Rick Steves in Volterra, you will see Roberto!

As we were walking out of Volterra we noticed an internet cafe. When we entered, all we saw was gelato and cappucino. They rent you a laptop. We had a cappucino and blogged...now that's an internet cafe! We decided to end our picture uploading to make sure we were back to the hotel before dark. Ken is starting to drive like an Italian, so "no problemo!".

Florence
We left Siena at 8:30am this morning, as the car rental company closes at noon on a Sunday. We arrived at Hotel Casci an hour later. We have been here before, so that helped. We dropped off the bags and Ken is returning the car. This a a great (free) computer in the lobby, so I am blogging until Ken returns, as our room isn't ready. Carla, the mama owner, made me a cappucino and asked if I wanted a croisaant. I had the cappucino, but passed on the croissant, as I have developed a severe addiction to them. They have a sweet glaze on them. I will have to go into cheese and croissant de-tox when I get home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home