Where In The World Are Ken and Sally?

Follow us on our adventures (and no doubt misadventures)through Norway, England and Italy. Farvel, Cheerio and Ciao ! Ken and Sally

If you don't want to add a comment, email us at:
bakkens3@comcast.net

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day from Venice !

2 Bakkens with 2 Bellini

Service at Harry's Bar
We're ready to shop at the Rialto Bridge-
Rialto Bridge
Venetian Mask
Venetian Mask
Just another day on the Grand Canal.
Not sure what this was about....
Panna Cotta gelato and happy gelato guy!

Sunday, May 14th
Happy Mothers’ Day to all! Last night we had dinner around 10PM and turned in around midnight. We could hear music outside our window…It was an accordion player playing Roll Our the Barrel Somehow that didn’t seem right. We actually slept in until 8AM and got down to breakfast around 10. I skipped the scrambled eggs today, as they were a little strange because they were runny. I did find the Nutella today so put it on my coronetto (croissant). Nutella is a chocolate spread the Italians love. We can buy it at home, but for some reason it only sounds good here. Of course, there was lots of café withsteamed milk, mushrooms stuffed with an incredible cheese, meats, cheeses, and a little chocolate torta. Hey, a girl needs her energy!

After breakfast, we came up to the room, and I said to Ken that it sounded like a parade outside because I could hear a band. Sure enough, boats were going down the Grand Canal in a procession with music. We asked the desk clerk what the parade was for, but he didn’t know why. I think Joel ordered it for Mothers’ Day. Thanks Joel!

Determined to make this a more relaxing day, we headed to the Rialto Bridge where there is lots of shopping. I did find the prize for the youngest blogger. I wonder who that will be? We are finally figuring out the vaporettos and are hopping on and off like pros. On a side note….. it’s sometimes good to need assistance, because the vaporetto guys are VERY good looking. Okay, back to shopping… We passed the Prada, Gucci, etc., and there were guys selling the “knock offs” right outside the stores. I guess the stores don’t like it, but no one seems to stop it.

Venice has fireboats instead of fire trucks; of course………….On the side of the fireboats is the word Fuoco. It means fire. That’s what my mom’s maiden name was……….Hmm.

After shopping, we decided to try and get into St. Mark’s Basilica again. The line was shorter, so we got in. I have to say it felt like we were being herded through like cattle. So what does one do when leaving church? You go to Harry’s Bar for a Bellini! Harry’ Bar is another way too expensive place. Hemmingway used to frequent it. A Bellini has fresh peach juice and prosecco (sparkling white wine). It was delicious, and for $16 each, they should be! But when I remembered how much Kyllensnodder was in Oslo, I felt better…..and after all, it’s Mothers’ Day.

I have to say; we are really loving Venice today. It is hard to put down the camera! From the incredible panna cotta that we found today to the sound of church bells from our room, it’s been another incredible day. We have also been invited to Ireland by a couple who were resting at the same time we were. It appears needing to take breaks is a good way to meet people.

We were wondering why there were packets of mosquito lotion in our room; now we know why!

Thanks Kelli for the Mothers’ Day e-card.

Sondra- Don’t let Susan’s jokes stop you from picking up the accordion again. I’m telling you there is money to be made!

Again, Happy Mothers’ Day to All…………Sally

As Sally described so well, our day was great! With the determination of the Norwegians, I now know how I will be able to create our English garden when we return home. I will need to have a Bellini to supply my fuel for the afternoon. With the blend of the three cultures the garden should look great; that is of course I have too many Bellinis. Here’s a thought……. Maybe I can get some help with the labor if I provide the Bellinis!

Off to Assisi tomorrow to get the great dinners made by Maria at the agriturismo, a working farm. The food was to die for last time. It was the best Italian food that we have ever had; I hope we are not disappointed! We hope to get a cooking lesson with Maria while we are there.

We are really unsure of internet access until we arrive in Sienna on Thursday, so don’t be surprised if we don’t update until then. We are now taking off to ride the vaporetto tonight to cruise the Grand Canal to have one last memory of Venice.

Ciao and Happy Mothers’ Day to my Mom and the rest of the other Great Moms out there…..Ken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home