Where In The World Are Ken and Sally?

Follow us on our adventures (and no doubt misadventures)through Norway, England and Italy. Farvel, Cheerio and Ciao ! Ken and Sally

If you don't want to add a comment, email us at:
bakkens3@comcast.net

Friday, May 19, 2006

On to Siena

Thursday, May 18th
We were up early to leave Malvarina for our next stop Siena. It is only a 2 hour drive, but with our history of getting lost, we thought we better give ourselves 6 hours so that we wouldn't get lost in the dark. The oddest thing happened....... we made it in under 2 hours with only one missed turn. Ken was very excited about returning to this hotel to see his 'dear Alexandria.' I told him that all my correspondence had been with someone else, so not to expect to see her. When we pulled into the hotel, his dream still much alive, he told me to join him to register. He wanted to prove to me that she was still there. I noticed a little extra pep in his step! Well Alexandria is definitely gone, and Silvia is her replacement....and she is no Alexandria! As we walked to our room, Ken said either she has a strange perfume or she has been drinking. I said that she had probably turned to the bottle because all of the men kept coming in expecting to be greeted by Alexandria.

We settled in our room, and then took a taxi into the walled city of Siena. Siena is a tough one for me to walk around; lots of uneven cobblestones, steep hills, etc. We found a little panini shop and had something to eat. I noticed the gelato as soon as I walked in. My choice was a rich smooth chocolate mousse. It's the best that I have ever had! It was so good that I had Ken take my picture with it! Pathetic huh? We aren't the ugly Americans... we are the goofball Americans! Ken asked one of the workers to call us a cab. Instead of doing so, he yelled to his friend Giovanni, who was smoking in the doorway. Giovanni pointed to us then his car, saying who knows what. Ken said it would be fine. I asked how much this would cost. Again, waving arms, loud words. Ken said it would be fine, I thought that we were going to get rolled! Once we were in the car, he raced down the steep, winding streets waving his hands, shouting at cars, and making a terrifying u-turn as we passed our hotel. When we finally got there, Ken gave him 5 Euros; Giovanni was happy, we were alive, and we got a great deal on the price of the 'taxi ride!'.... Sally

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home